Our starting point was the Westminster Bridge. There's a gorgeous view of Parliament and Big Ben from the Bridge. Since it was Saturday, there was an incredible amount of tourists out and about, despite the rainy weather.
Pictures of Big Ben, Parliament, and the London Eye






We walked across to Westminster Abbey. I was absolutely amazed at the size of this church. We saw the tombs of Elizabeth I and Mary, Queen of Scots. I also bought a book that lists the kings and queens of England because I always have trouble keeping them straight. We weren't allowed to take pictures inside the church, but got some good pictures of the outside.



From Westminster Abbey we walked up towards Trafalgar Square. We passed #10 Downing Street where the Prime Minister and his family live. We also saw the Cenotaph. Crossing the busy intersection at Trafalgar Square, we took some pictures and then decided to go to the National Gallery.



We thought about taking a walk in St. James Park, but decided to grab a bite to eat first. I chose Little Frankie's, a restaurant close to the gallery. They advertised Americano Italian food. A lot of the items on their menu were traditional American food, but I've never met anyone who eats baked beans for breakfast or who likes pepperoni with BBQ sauce. But maybe I'm just not traveling in the right social circles. :) The food was good and filled us up pretty quickly. Food made with real sugar and not high fructose corn syrup tastes soooo good!
Because the rain had picked up some, we decided to skip the park and head back to the hotel. Freddie took a couple of pictures of the tube.


Now we're back at the hotel trying to decide what to do tomorrow. There's another walking tour (Thanks, Rick Steves!) we want to do, but since it's Sunday the two churches on the tour will be closed to tours. If the weather is nicer it will be a good day to go to the Tower of London. There are lots of museums to choose from that will be open tomorrow as well.






We walked across to Westminster Abbey. I was absolutely amazed at the size of this church. We saw the tombs of Elizabeth I and Mary, Queen of Scots. I also bought a book that lists the kings and queens of England because I always have trouble keeping them straight. We weren't allowed to take pictures inside the church, but got some good pictures of the outside.



From Westminster Abbey we walked up towards Trafalgar Square. We passed #10 Downing Street where the Prime Minister and his family live. We also saw the Cenotaph. Crossing the busy intersection at Trafalgar Square, we took some pictures and then decided to go to the National Gallery.



We thought about taking a walk in St. James Park, but decided to grab a bite to eat first. I chose Little Frankie's, a restaurant close to the gallery. They advertised Americano Italian food. A lot of the items on their menu were traditional American food, but I've never met anyone who eats baked beans for breakfast or who likes pepperoni with BBQ sauce. But maybe I'm just not traveling in the right social circles. :) The food was good and filled us up pretty quickly. Food made with real sugar and not high fructose corn syrup tastes soooo good!Because the rain had picked up some, we decided to skip the park and head back to the hotel. Freddie took a couple of pictures of the tube.


Now we're back at the hotel trying to decide what to do tomorrow. There's another walking tour (Thanks, Rick Steves!) we want to do, but since it's Sunday the two churches on the tour will be closed to tours. If the weather is nicer it will be a good day to go to the Tower of London. There are lots of museums to choose from that will be open tomorrow as well.



No comments:
Post a Comment