Friday, May 16, 2008

London, Day 2

After getting to sleep in without a 1 year old screaming through a monitor or a 4 year old climbing onto the bed with us, we headed out a little before noon today. We took the tube and then walked for a few blocks to the British Museum. This is one of the most amazing museums I have ever been in. It contains a collection of artifacts from all over the world. The three areas that we concentrated our time on where the Greek and Roman sculptures, the Egyptian artifacts, and the rooms containing European artifacts through modern times.

I was most excited to see the Rosetta Stone. I've read about it and have also read many mystery and suspense novels that entwine the Rosetta Stone into their plots. Freddie enjoyed seeing the huge Egyptian statues.

Coffins from Australia--the Dhuwa people use these to hold the bones of ancestors

Inside the Great Court of the British Museum
Here I am trying to see where to go next in the museum.
One of the many Egyptian statues that were on display

We were at the museum for about five hours. After about 1 hour the battery on the camera died (oh well - I guess we get to go back and take more pictures). We didn't see everything, but we saw what we came for plus a lot more. On the way back we stopped at Cafe London in the Bedford Hotel for dinner. Freddie had fish and chips and I had beef and ale pie. Now we're in for the night, sampling a wine Freddie picked up at the grocery store yesterday.

Our plan for tomorrow is to take a walking tour from the Westminster Bridge up to Trafalgar Square and the National Gallery. If we can get started early enough we're planning on touring both Westminster Abbey and the National Gallery. If not, then we're going to save the gallery for another day.

No comments: