Friday, April 4, 2008

Chiropractor or Chiro-quack-tor?

We had our monthly MOMS Club meeting today. The speaker was a local chiropractor who also is a nutritionist and also practices Chinese medicine (acupuncture, herbs, etc). I didn't hear most of what he had to say because I was pinch-hitting in the nursery, but I did get a free 10 minute consult after the meeting was over.

Now in reading this you need to keep in mind that I have been raised in a home where it was believed that all chiropractors are quacks. To my parents, chiropractors were on the lowest rung of the doctor ladder. You cannot imagine how surprised I was when I learned a few years ago that my parents had begun seeing a chiropractor. It took a while for me to really believe it, but they were going to one. After that, I kept waiting for the news report that Hell had indeed frozen over.

Back to today--I lay down on this chair/table/lounge thing he had brought. He had me hold my right arm straight in the air. He started explaining different pressure points and how they're all connected to nerves which can give him information about what organs might be functioning incorrectly. The idea is that he can push against my arm with one hand while touching a pressure point and they will react like polar opposites if something wrong. So if he pushes against my hand while touching the pressure point for my liver with his other hand and my hand doesn't move, then everything's fine. If he's able to push my hand down then something's wrong. (At least, that's what I got from the explanation while I'm also trying to keep an ear out for Maddy and Emmy to make sure they weren't trying to leave without me.)

The two areas he said that I have trouble are my thyroid and my stomach. After doing another test, he believes my stomach is worse and would need to be treated first. He offered a 50% off initial office visit for a nutrition consult (which would be around $40), and he said the consults after that would be around $35 per visit.

The East Texas-chiropractors-are-quacks side thinks this is bunk and there's nothing really to it. I was trying to figure out if it was power of suggestion or what as he was making my arm move.

The I-am-willing-to-try-anything-to-get-rid-of-headaches side wants to try it. What can it hurt, other than our wallets? :)

So I'm up in the air right now about whether or not I want to go see this guy for a full consult. They're open on Saturdays, which is a plus because it means I could go without the girls. But there's a voice in my head that keeps moaning, "You'll just be wasting money, you'll just be wasting money." Who knows--maybe he has something to cure the voices as well ;)

I'm open for opinions and advice so let me know what you think.

4 comments:

my3texasboys said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Judyn said...

Completely believe in them...you wouldn't believe what one did for my sciatica during my pregnancy! Also, my sis sees one regularly due to disc issues in her back. I also think you really need to look into them though. I would ask my friends and see if any of them have seen "cures" by them.

As far as the Chinese medicine goes...my sister is a naturalist and nutritionist. She grinds her own wheat, drinks raw milk, cures problems (including migranes) with essential oils, and I must say...she is slowly but surely getting me to go over to the dark side with her. We call her our family witch doctor, but I will say her suggestions usually work.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

my3texasboys said...

I've used a chiropractor in the past. If you get a good one then they are pretty good. I do think one would probably help with headaches since it is possible that your vertebrae have shifted and are pinching a nerve that is causing he headaches.

However, like you, I think that doc is more a quack because I doubt he/she could push on two points and diagnose a problem.

Good luck and keep me posted.

Julie said...

Hi Marie!
It sounds like the dr is a chiropractor/kinesiologist. I could be wrong, but his methods sound exactly like the dr I go to in Denver, CO. I've been seeing him for over 12 yrs now and he has done alot of good for me and my health problems. I don't know what I would've done without him when I was pregnant with Kylee and going through all those migraines. I suggest you do more research on the internet about chiropractic kinesiology. I like the fact that it finds the source of the problem instead of band-aiding the symptoms. It is a little different at first and takes some getting used to, but it has completely worked for me. Do you have more info on him? I'd be interested in making an appointment with him the next time we come down there to see exactly what he's all about.
Good luck with your decision making :)