Saturday, September 15, 2007

Check Him Out

When I was a really little kid, I had a buddy named Brandon. He and I would ride bikes together, tease his little brother, and search for who-knows-what in the woods. I don't remember what we looked for, and I don't know exactly what we would have done if we had found it, but we liked looking. We made paths for our bikes with some of the other kids in the neighborhood. His mom would babysit me sometimes--her name was Debbie and I remember thinking she was so pretty. I also remember the day some of the kids were getting ready to have a bike race and Brandon's little brother said a cuss word. That race never actually happened because we all became too interested in the spanking his brother was getting.

But then we got older, and Brandon moved closer to town. He was a couple of years older than me so we never really talked again. You know how it is with most childhood friendships. You remember them fondly, but you don't feel like you're missing out on anything because you're not friends anymore.

A couple of years ago another childhood friend of mine told me that Brandon was singing and had released an album. I thought, Good for him! I really didn't know he could sing, but that's great!

Then last year I happened to be in Corpus Christi with my in-laws while they were working (Go CC Hooks!), and we went out to eat at a little restaurant that sometimes has live music. As I was leaving I noticed on the sign outside that Brandon Rhyder was going to be playing that night. So my padre-in-law, sis-in-law, and I decided we would go check him out. And lo and behold...he was good. Really good. His music is not "poppy" country, more traditional Texas country. It's the kind of music that can make a person who says,"I'll never listen to country music," actually sit down and relax for a few minutes. But it's not fair to categorize it as just country--it's a got a little blues mixed in, as well as some good rock beats on some songs.

So take some time and check him out. If you like him, see if you can catch a show. He's playing all around Texas right now, and his albums are available online.


No comments: