Thursday, October 14, 2010

Multi-tasking

I'm really beginning to dislike that word. Maybe because I've become too good at it. Most moms become multi-tasking pros quickly after the first child comes along. This isn't to say people without kids can't or don't multi-task, but in motherhood learning to do it can be the deciding factor as to whether you sink or swim when it comes to running a house and raising kids. There are times that it is useful, and there are times when it becomes a must. We don't have clones and we only have two hands so we have to learn how to accomplish several things at one time.

But when multi-tasking becomes a habit and starts to cut into simple things that should be enjoyed, it's a problem. When I find myself eating bites of cereal while standing at the kitchen counter in between unloading the dishwasher, packing a lunch, and listening to Maddy read I have to ask myself, "Is it really necessary to do all of these things right now? What needs to be done right now and what can wait until later? Why not sit down and enjoy these precious minutes with the kids?" Because as we all know, they're not going to be little forever.

So I'm setting a goal for myself today. I'm doing one thing at a time today even if it means I get less accomplished. Today I'm throwing multi-tasking out the window and enjoying each minute.

No comments: