...are not my friend. I know they're supposed to be easy and help cut costs, but I absolutely hate them. If given the choice, I will always prefer to go to a cashier rather than face the self-checkout scanners.
Home Depot is the worst in my opinion. At the two stores we have nearby, the only cashier that will be available is the one for contractors, and there will be only one cashier at a time so there is always a line. Your only option is to go to self-checkout. Yay.
I went there today to pick up some paint samples. Because I rarely go into Home Depot, I always forget about the self-checkouts until I'm ready to leave. I was walking up to the front with my samples when I remembered. Part of me was ready to just leave everything and go somewhere else, but I really needed to get this done today.
I'll admit that the main problem I have is that I don't use the self-checkouts often enough to remember what to do. Yes, I am the tired-looking lady in front of you in line with two hungry kids who actually has to take the time to read the screen when you just want to get out of there. Because I'm frustrated that I have to do this, I'm in a hurry and skip important details, like the fact I have to put the items I'm buying on the counter instead of just placing them back in the cart (which would have been much more efficient, but no one at HD asked my opinion). And the self-checkout clerk who's there to "help"? I couldn't tell if she didn't want to help me because she was avoiding doing work or if she was scared to come over to the crazy lady who was muttering under her breath and looking like she was about to send the paint can through the computer screen.
Maybe I just need more practice. Or maybe stores should realize that some people don't want to scan their own stuff. Checking out at a store should be one of those mindless procedures you can do with your eyes closed. I really wish stores like HD who take using self-checkouts to an extreme would have just one register open for people doing everyday shopping.
Anyway, the next time you're in a self-checkout and feel like you're about to scream because the person in front of you is taking so long, please remember me and take pity. Or run away--you just never know what direction a paint can will go when it bounces off the computer screen.



1 comment:
Im the same way...and I always feel guilty using them, since Im scared someone's going to lose their job at the store if those lines get to popular.
Post a Comment