Monday, June 1, 2009

Waco Weekend

We spent Memorial Day weekend in Waco with my mom. After we got there Friday afternoon we decided to make a quick visit to the Dr. Pepper Museum. I wasn't sure if the girls would really get anything from it, but it turned out to be one of Maddy's favorite places. She liked looking at all the old bottles and soda machines, and Emmy was a constant ball of energy running from one exhibit to the next.


Saturday morning we headed to the Cameron Park Zoo. I had heard really good things about the zoo, and I was NOT let down. The animals' habitats are very open and you feel like you can get so close to them. We ended up staying at the zoo for a while because it started raining for about an hour around lunch time. The girls had a great time and Maddy is already asking when we're going back.






Maddy was really into being our guide for the trip.







After the zoo we decided to squeeze in the Mayborn Museum on the Baylor University campus. Freddie and I think we're going to have to make a day trip to go back to this museum with the girls. We got to see everything, but it would be great to take our time going through the exhibits. The museum had an exhibit called Leonardo Da Vinci's Machines in Motion that is open through mid-August. These are all wooden machines that were created based on Da Vinci's designs and notes. It was one of the best exhibits I have seen in a while and it completely captured Maddy's attention.

When we finished the Da Vinci exhibit, we checked out the rest of the museum. Maddy and Emmy both liked the mammoth skulls.

There are two separate children's areas in the museum. One is downstairs and talks about trains, animals, weather, and transportation. Then there is an area upstairs of about 10 different rooms that have more on transportation, farming and pioneers, bubbles, and the human body. We could have spent the entire day at the museum and I don't think the girls would have run out of things to do.

We'll probably revisit the museum one day this summer. I think everyone had a great time even though it was a busy weekend.

1 comment:

Judyn said...

Well you just gave us 2 things to do this summer. I had never thought to take the kids to the Dr. Pepper plant and I loved the DaVinci pics. Wow.

Im glad everyone had a good time.